PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO SHUT ME UP

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

the amma/behen

Back when I was in a certain school in saddar (not writing the name here because I don't want somebody to google it and find my blog), one fine morning our van pulled up to school and Saba and I beheld the amma/behen: a young woman with a kid. I insisted she was the kid's sister. This probably stemmed from the feeling of utter horror I have every time I see a young woman with kids. Saba said the woman was the kid's mom. And so she was named the amma/behen.

But she's not the only one. Amma/behens are everywhere and they, without fail, strike fear in my heart. It's getting worse as I grow older because my age and their age(s) are converging.

why god why.


5 comments:

  1. Shame.
    But oh, God gots nothing to do with men and their mindless phallus-ing.
    Random reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHHAHAHA yes, you are spot-on, random reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mum is an amma/behen. people REFUSE to believe that she's my mum, they all say we look like sisters. i don't really mind it but at times it does get annoying. and the way certain people stare when they are enlightened of me being my mum's daughter definitely creeps me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meri amma is a total ama/behen.

    Once a salesmen said to me and my mom while we were shopping with Dad with us,
    "Beta ap logo k papa ap ko bula rhye hain".

    And at a parent teacher meeting, the teacher won't believe she was not my elder sister but my mother.Maybe Capricorn Irani's never grow up :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Furree @Hamza

    wow, that must be weird hahaha. I think people who stare/make the mistake feel just as awkward as you do though.

    ReplyDelete

LEAVE A MESSAGE