PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO SHUT ME UP

Monday, July 4, 2011

going through my old stuff

Although my computer's still dead, and my dropbox is full of shane mccutcheon, I managed to open up evernote today and BAM I find a bunch of poems. Life is sweet when you have backup.


Of course not all of my creativity is used up on actual writing. A lot of the notes are, well, notes. Cool dialogues/quotes/shit. Also, funny text messages I get.


So, here's some stuff I found, with quotes being in inverted commas (duh), writing being in courier.



"Tu beth ja! Aur sath mei 'chameli' k phool bhi leke jana! Aur bike pe stalk karna! Shiny shirt and tight pants pehn k!" -Bia, on stalking Kamila Shamsie

"Cand-dates you have 5 mints are laft." - Instructions during the urdu paper.

"Canddates PANS DOWN! PANS DOWN!"- Also instructions during the urdu paper.

"Please observe silence silently" - yes, this too.



we met in virtual spaces
and lifted our glasses to what could have been






How Is Your Heart? by Charles Bukowski
during my worst times
on the park benches
in the jails
or living with
whores
I always had this certain
contentment-
I wouldn't call it
happiness-
it was more of an inner
balance 
that settled for
whatever was occuring
and it helped in the
factories
and when relationships 
went wrong
with the 
girls. 
it helped 
through the
wars and the
hangovers
the backalley fights
the 
hospitals. 
to awaken in a cheap room
in a strange city and
pull up the shade-
this was the craziest kind of
contentment

and to walk across the floor
to an old dresser with a 
cracked mirror- 
see myself, ugly,
grinning at it all. 
what matters most is
how well you 
walk through the
fire.





may my heart always be open - ee cummings
may my heart always be open to little
birds who are the secrets of living
whatever they sing is better than to know
and if men should not hear them men are old
  
may my mind stroll about hungry
and fearless and thirsty and supple
and even if it's sunday may i be wrong
for whenever men are right they are not young
  
and may myself do nothing usefully
and love yourself so more than truly
there's never been quite such a fool who could fail
pulling all the sky over him with one smile



__
I realize I have not been reading as much poetry as I used to. It's a pleasure going through all the poems I have on evernote.

1 comment:

LEAVE A MESSAGE